Thursday 19 April 2007

THE (ALTERNATIVE) APPRENTICE

Thursday 19 April 2007
Sir Alan: I'm sorry Sophie, but... you're fired.
Sophie: You can't technically fire me, Sir Alan. I don't work for you.
Sir Alan: You're fired, Sophie.
Sophie: But you said this is a job interview.
Sir Alan: Look, whatever. Just go now, please.
Sophie: If you want to fire me you need to hire me first.
Sir Alan: Okay, you're hired!

Sophie pulls thin air with her fists.

Sophie: Yesssss!
Sir Alan: And now you're fired.
Sophie: For what?
Sir Alan: Nothing, you're fired.
Sophie: You can't fire me for nothing.
Sir Alan: Alright, I fired you for going "yessss!" like that.
Sophie: That's ridiculous! I'm gonna sue.
Sir Alan: Just you try it, sweetheart. I've got Margaret here to protect me. The most ruthless lawyer in all of London.

Margaret leans into Sir Alan.

Margaret: Actually, Sir Alan, she's got a point. You just hired her and fired her without any just cause.
Sir Alan: Eh? Look, whose side are you on Margaret? This is just a game show, okay?

Nick leans into Sir Alan.


Nick: You say it's not a game show in your opening narration.
Sir Alan: Do I? Oh. Yeah. Well... look, it is a bloody game! There are contestants, it's on telly, there's a prize at the end. What more do you want?!
Sophie: So am I really, properly, definitely, fired?
Sir Alan: YES!!
Sophie: Well that's not fair. I'll see you in court.
Sir Alan: Yeah, yeah, good luck.

Nick tuts, turning away.

Sir Alan: What's wrong with you?
Nick: Well, she seemed quite clever to me. She was a quantum physicist, after all.
Sir Alan: So what? I need a shrewed business person, not a bloody time-traveller!
Maragaret: She could perhaps go back in time and erase Michelle Dewberry from series 2.
Nick: (chuckles) I don't think quantum physicists actually time---

Too late. Sir Alan has his Amstrad phone to hand.

Sir Alan: Jenny, stop Sophie leaving, would you?