Sunday 10 June 2007

Sunday 10 June 2007
What are your favourite websites?

Ain't It Cool News is a regular haunt of mine, despite its often immature and badly written content. I just find it has an infectious sensibility from its staff and plenty of scoops, although the downsides sometimes overweigh the good stuff. I particularly enjoy the often ridiculous Talkbacks, where readers post their thoughts on stuff, which is a good place to get varied feedback on TV and films. Oh, and most of my Doctor Who reviews get posted there, too...

I can spend hours on Wikipedia sometimes, as it's a great resource for pretty much everything you could imagine. As it's written by users, not everything can be trusted 100%, although that goes for most stuff on the internet. To be honest, it's never been an issue with me and Wikipedia articles have kept my informed and intrigued on many occassions.

Digg. A friend recommend I give this site a look about a year ago and now it's a daily visit. It's essentially a list of websites recommended by users (or "digged"). There's often some fantastic stuff hidde in here, from eye-opening articles, amazing photos, bizarre websites, great video links and insightful sources.

For fans of Lost, I heartily recommend Lost Easter Eggs, which is a brilliant visual resource that highlights the variety of clues and in-jokes in each episode. It's often astounding to see all the little background details in each episode and the level of documenting and unravelling of Lost's complexities is great fun to takee a peek at after each new episode. But, be warned, this site contains major spoilers if you're behind the U.S showings.

If I'm ever bored, I always give YouTube a whirl. I spend less time there than I did a year ago, but it's always worth a little browse. The only thing I dislike about the site is the difficulty in searching for good content, as you tend to rely on friends sending you hyperlinks. The "Most Viewed" list is fine, but it tends to be stuffed with anime, unfunny U.S news bloopers and football clips!

A really quite brilliant site is VideoJug, which is sort of YouTube but with a point. Here you'll find simple tutorials, covering most bases -- like chatting up girls, folding T-shirts in two seconds, doing magic tricks, ironing clothes, how to make veggie juice, etc. If you're genuinely interested in learning a new skill/trick, give this site a whirl.

Other sites I tend to visit quite often, for various reasons, include: Film Freak Central, Torrentspy, IMDB and Simply Scripts. And, ahem, others I won't mention... ;)