Wednesday 23 January 2008

ON RADAR: Ashes To Ashes

Wednesday 23 January 2008

This clip is from the first episode of Ashes To Ashes, the spin-off from Life On Mars. As you can see, it once again stars Philip Glenister as the irascible Gene Hunt, but now partnered with Keeley Hawes (Spooks) as DCI Alex Drake -- another contemporary cop thrown back in time... to the 1980s.

I never blogged about Life On Mars when it came out, having gorged on the DVD box-sets after season 2's BBC transmission. I really enjoyed the series, though. It had a Quantum Leap-like ability to mix solid human drama with sci-fi elements. I even enjoyed the last episode's resolution to time-travelling Sam Tyler's adventure in 1973, even if it quite clearly didn't make one jot of sense! I don't care what the writers say, either -- it was illogical. But the emotional pay-off worked, so I could forgive and forget...

So, what do I think of that Ashes To Ashes clip? Well, to be honest, it doesn't get my heart pumping. I like the character of Gene Hunt, and the 80s setting means I'll spot more background gags because of my age, but... the premise just seems old-hat now.

Oh, and now that we know time-travel isn't involved... surely that destroys any "mystery angle" for Hawes' character?! I mean, are they really going to waste time with Alex Drake pondering the same existential questions as Sam Tyler -- only now with everyone at home screaming "you're in a bloody coma!" episode after episode?

But, I'll be watching. Life On Mars earns it some associated loyalty, Gene Hunt's still a great character to watch chew scenery, and I'm sure the "greedy 80s" will be amusing to see reproduced. I hope they have better plots if the time-travel/coma mystery is a foregone conclusion for viewers, though. Do they have something devilishly clever up their sleeves?

Find out yourself when the show starts on BBC1 in early February.