Wednesday 9 January 2008

TRAILER PARK: Knight Rider

Wednesday 9 January 2008
It seems NBC are still keen to remake old TV shows, despite their awful Bionic Woman update being savaged by critics and abandoned by viewers.

But, they have learned one lesson from that experience: test the water with these remakes before you commit to an expensive season! A Knight Rider back-door pilot is being filmed right now, and its success will decide the commissioning of a full run.

The slick promo is below:



Okay, I'll admit, that doesn't look too shabby. But probably because it plays like a car advert and has a nice joke at the end. The new Mustang K.I.T.T looks okay -- but am I alone in thinking the old Trans Am looked more "futuristic"? Maybe we're just spoiled with snazzy cars these days, but that Mustang looks too "ordinary" to me. Nothing special.

Will Arnett is the guy doing the voice of K.I.T.T now. No, I've never heard of him either. He was in Arrested Development, apparently. His voice is pretty cool in the trailer, but I hope they get original talking car William Daniels to voice-cameo. David Hasselhoff is very likely to turn up as Michael Knight, though -- to pass the baton to his estranged screen son, Mike Tracer (Justin Bruening).

This is being executive produced by Doug Liman, director of films like Go, Bourne Identity, Mr & Mrs Smith and Jumper, so... it stands a chance, right? Early script reviews have been quite favourable. I hope it works, because Knight Rider was a childhood favourite of mine. I had a remote control Trans Am, the annual, and everything...