Saturday 13 December 2008

Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe

Saturday 13 December 2008


I really should be watching Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe (BBC4, Tue 10.30pm), but it's a show that always seems to slip me by. Why isn't it advertised more on the major BBC channels? Fortunately, I've revived my interest in the BBC's iPlayer and can now catch-up...

Blog reader Thomas Lawrence e-mailed me about Screenwipe's fourth episode earlier this week; a very amusing critique of "mission documentaries" (Jamie's Ministry Of Food, Dawn Goes Naked, etc), with ex-Blue Peter presenter Konnie Huq hosting faux-doc "Big British Wee" -- a campaign designed to help men urinate in public. And lo, 'twas easily the funniest thing on telly this week, so do check it out via the iPlayer. You can also watch part 1 in the embedded video above and find the subsequent parts on YouTube.

Incidentally, I did flukily catch Screenwipe's third episode -- a writing special, where Charlie interviewed Doctor Who's Russell T. Davies, IT Crowd's Graham Linehan, State Of Play's Paul Abbott, amongst others. It's required viewing for all budding screenwriters out there. Part 1 is here via YouTube.