Wednesday 24 June 2009

The Saturdays: "Work"

Wednesday 24 June 2009
I know my musical taste often calls into question my gender, age and sexuality, but I can assure you that I'm only interested in the likes of The Saturdays for one thing -- and it's not to learn their choreography or perfect my karaoke. Here they are with their latest single "Work"; a more mature look and sound after the candyfloss pop of earlier efforts like "Up" (i.e, colour-coded tights are replaced by black skirts or flesh.) The hair, makeup and wardrobe teams have played a blinder, but the video itself is undistinguished and clichéd in its approach. The Sat's just strut around on a stage in a darkened warehouse. The director appears to have realized the group aren't very good at dancing in unison, so halfway through a group of hunky boys arrive and provide some cool moves instead. But hey, I can't complain too much: the song is catchy as a summer tune to be forgotten by September, and the girls look super-sexy in short skirts.