Tuesday 23 June 2009

Twin Peaks Revisited

Tuesday 23 June 2009


Do you have your Twin Peaks season 1 box-set ready? Did you buy it? Rent it? Borrow from a friend? If so, well done! If not (and probably not), well, feel free to follow along to my retrospective reviews of Twin Peaks, anyway. If you're disinclined to revisit this seminal series, I hope you'll still enjoy reading my reviews for a weekly hit of nostalgia. However, if you've never seen Twin Peaks, I'd prefer you just ignored my reviews and catch-up some other day yourself... but it's up to you!

The plan is to watch one episode every week for review on Thursdays (starting 2 July.) I'd like to approach the episodes as I would a new show, so I won't be referring ahead to anything very much. In that endeavor, it helps that I haven't revisited Twin Peaks since the early-'90s, so I genuinely can't remember everything that happened, and I doubtless missed its nuances and depth as a young 'un.

If you feel like discussing each episode in the comments area, please can all Twin Peaks aficionados refrain from posting spoilers. Just focus your thoughts on the episode being reviewed and preceding ones. In particular: DON'T SAY WHO KILLED LAURA PALMER! Please. That's a cardinal rule, for very obvious reasons. Any comment that breaks a common sense rule and spoils the experience for newbies will be deleted. Repeat offenders will also be blocked, but I'm sure it won't get that far. Just play nice, basically.

Now, while there are only 30 episodes of Twin Peaks spread across two seasons (8 in season 1, 22 in season 2), I'm only going to tackle season 1 here. That's because I don't want to get stuck into something it becomes clear nobody's that interested in, but mainly because season 2 isn't available on DVD in the UK. I'd have to buy it as a Dutch Region 2 release on Ebay. Now, while I'd be perfectly willing to buy it if these reviews prove very popular (for a reasonable price), I think it's wise to concentrate on season 1 for now. Maybe I'll get around to revisiting season 2 later this year, or next summer to celebrate Twin Peaks' 20th anniversary..?

So, grab your mug of "damn fine" coffee and cut yourself a slice of cherry pie, because it's nearly time to get reacquainted with the Log Lady and talk (backwards) to the dancing dwarf again...