Thursday 8 April 2010

State of the Blog: TV overload, secret news, and more

Thursday 8 April 2010
We're in that busy crossover period where many TV shows are reaching a conclusion in the next few months, while other US cable and UK shows are starting their spring/summer runs. That means there's a huge amount to cover, although a few shows have fortunately gone on small breaks (Chuck, Glee), which helps, and some are finishing soon (Mad Men, Human Target).

I have two pieces of secret news that I'm very excited about, but can't say anything just yet. Beyond tease you like this, which is perverse fun. Hopefully my "Secret News" will be revealed within days, but I'll probably have to keep schtum about "Top Secret News" for a few weeks yet (at least). Both are exciting developments for me and the blog, let's leave it at that.

Beyond that, I don't have much more to add. D'you like the new fonts? I know I always play with them like a bored kid, but I'm thinking the small Verdana text with Lucida Grande titles is pretty swish. Could be a keeper. Or I'll get bored and change it in May.

Just wondered about the response levels here, too. I've noticed a few reviews aren't receiving much comment recently (24, Fringe, Mad Men, Human Target) and others are a little sporadic (Glee, V). The solid feedback is mainly coming from Chuck, Breaking Bad, Lost and Doctor Who. Is this an indication of the TV shows people care about, or is the fact the least commented reviews generally follow the UK's pace a telling sign?

Y'see, I'm always worried that my intention to hold back some reviews for my fellow Brits feels like it backfires, as most Brits download episodes beforehand, or the vocal audience is primarily Americans who have tired of discussing that week's Lost by Saturday. As an example. What's the feeling?

My current review schedule looks like this:

Mon: 24 (SKY1)
Tue: Breaking Bad (AMC), Glee (E4), The Pacific (SKYM)
Wed: Chuck (NBC), Fringe (SKY)
Thu: V (ABC)
Fri: Desperate Housewives* (CH4), Human Target (FOX), Mad Men (BBC4)
Sat: Ashes To Ashes (BBC1), Lost (SKY1)
Sun: Doctor Who (BBC1)
* Continuing the guest-reviews of Chris Howard, who's been putting in a lot of effort, so thanks to everyone who's commenting.

Finally, just a heads-up that film reviews of 2012 and The Twilight Saga: New Moon will be along shortly, and I only have one episode left to watch of The Wire Season 2, so a review will hopefully go up later this month.

Anything else? Feel free to leave a message.