Tuesday 18 May 2010

Further to my Facebook announcement...

Tuesday 18 May 2010
... I've encountered a few problems already. The biggest issue is that Facebook's ability to import blog posts via RSS doesn't seem to work very well. A few posts came through (many, many HOURS after they were published) but I've had to re-import the feed twice now just to ensure the Facebook "wall" is up-to-date.

Obviously, I can't be doing that all the time, so maybe the whole experiment is doomed to failure because FB just isn't able to do its job properly. I've searched online for help about this issue and discovered lots of people with the same, or similar fault. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a fix, just a lot of griping that FB's software is so ineffective in this respect.

If anyone reading this has a Facebook page that's importing an RSS feed successfully, please tell me your secret! Any advice or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Also, I've noticed that the Facebook "recommend" widget (now added to the footer of every post) doesn't display correctly in Internet Explorer 6. Of course, people should have upgraded from IE6 by now, but I know there are lots of businesses out there that still use old versions of web-browsers. So, for that reason, I'm considering deleting that FB widget and perhaps replacing it with something better, that hopefully works in older browsers.

If you're using an old or more "unusual" browser (Chrome or Safari, say), and are experiencing problems displaying DMD correctly, please let me know here.