Monday 10 May 2010

HAPPY TOWN 1.2 - "I Came To Haplin For The Water"

Monday 10 May 2010
WRITERS: Josh Appelbaum, André Nemec & Scott Rosenberg
DIRECTOR: Gary Fleder
I hereby wash my hands of Happy Town after a record two episodes. While the second half of "I Came To Haplin For The Water" improved, it had become very clear that this is a low-rent Twin Peaks wannabe with less artistic clout than Goosebumps. I felt my attention slip from the narrative early and often, the surprise that they've chosen to answer the pilot's murder-mystery already felt very misguided, and there was a laughably bad sequence where someone forged a key against-the-clock to loud pop-music. Imagine if M.C Hammer's "U Can't Touch This" had played at full volume during a Twin Peaks episode, and you get some sense of the creative home goal.

5 MAY 2010: ABC, 10|9c