Monday 17 May 2010

TRAILER PARK: The Event & Undercovers

Monday 17 May 2010


What is the event? That's what NBC want us to be asking next year. Of all the pilots on NBC's rosta, I think The Event has my interest the most. I love the casting of Blair Underwood as the US President (currently watching him on In Treatment) and Zeljko Ivanek's a favourite character actor of mine, and it all looks incredibly well put together and exciting. Like all conspiracy thrillers of this ilk, you have to wonder if the writers can keep it going for a season and beyond. I wish US drama was more self-contained or had definite end-dates, because I'm not sure if "the event" in question will be worth the wait, or if audiences will get bored with the tease. And when they do make it clear what The Event is, will we continue to watch? Also, is it a worrying sign that the supposed hero (played by Jason Ritter) barely features here?



"Nothing spices up a marriage like a little sexpionage", right? Groan. Coming from J.J Abrams, I expect this spy-drama to be very entertaining and able to overcome its unoriginality. Interesting to note that NBC's Chuck (which is back for a fourth season) has effectively become this show now, although Undercovers is obviously going to be more grownup in spirit. The trailer looks fun, if nothing remarkable to get me excited. It mainly amuses me that the UK's lost another promising young actress (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) to the Hollywood system. We cast her in Bonekickers and as a bit-part in Doctor Who, see. Yeah, we find talent and scare them off. I bet there are British casting agents shaking their heads right now, although Mbatha-Raw's agent is probably rubbing his/her hands together in glee at the money they're making.

So, those are the two NBC dramas that have my attention so far. Do you like the look of them, too?