Thursday 22 July 2010

Talking Point: Have you ever been to a convention?

Thursday 22 July 2010

The San Diego Comic-Con started last night, and it always looks like amazing fun. It's the sense of occasion I respond to; the chance to see actors, writers and directors in the flesh, while watching sneak peaks of tomorrow's big films and TV shows. Even the fateful flops the marketing men are trying to push down fanboy throats. You just know the geek world's going to be buzzing while SDCC is on, and I'd love to be there to experience it first-hand. I hear they even sell things, like comics.

But, there's still a part of me that doesn't "get" the pureblood fanboy types that conventions attract. The people (perhaps unfairly) categorized as basement-dwelling virgins. Men and women who dress up as Jedi, Ghostbusters, Neo, RoboCop, or obscure anime characters. I don't really want to be part of THAT crowd*. No offence if you're the type of person who enjoys cosplay and has a healthy attitude about it, but it doesn't appeal and I get embarrassed on behalf of people standing in queues dressed as Cylons (the '80s metal ones, not slinky Tricia Helfer lookalikes). It's true: internal organs can cringe.

Do you share my concerns? Like I said, I've never actually BEEN to a convention, because of the stigma I perceive about it. So maybe I'm entirely wrong and they're actually full of well-adjusted folk who mostly don't wear costumes and have complex, interesting things to say about the corners of pop-culture they adore. I'm just not sold on the extremes some people go to show (or prove?) their geek credentials. Maybe there should be a segregation between "geeks" and "nerds" in the foyer? I'm the mudblood of this particular Hogwarts.

* With the exception of any Sarah Walker-from-Chuck fancy-dressers. I'll hang with that crowd.