Friday 3 September 2010

Incoming TV: autumn/winter 2010

Friday 3 September 2010

It's September, so that means a lot of TV shows will be returning after their summer break in the US, and the UK also like to launch a lot of new programming at this time of the year. Below is a list of the shows I'll most likely be watching and/or reviewing in the following few months, and my gut expectations for them. It's subject to change, because some shows likely to be returning for autumn haven't been officially scheduled yet, but this is how things stand currently:

Martin Scorsese's Boardwalk Empire
BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO/Sky) I'm very interested in this period drama set in Atlantic City, given the caliber of its cast and crew (Martin Scorsese producing-directing, Steve Buscemi headlining). I'm hoping Sky show this within a week of its US broadcast, but if not I'll be following the HBO schedule. Unless it's not particularly engrossing and I can afford to wait awhile, as I did with The Pacific. US TX: 19 September / UK TX: February 2011. LIKELY REVIEW

CAMPUS (Channel 4) The Comedy Showcase pilot was okay, but needed work. I doubt I'll be reviewing this every week, but perhaps the first episode. UK TX: TBA. UNLIKELY REVIEW

CHUCK (NBC) There's no chance I'm going to wait for Virgin1 Channel One to show this series, because that'll be summer 2011 if they stay true to their lax scheduling. So yes, expect reviews of season 4 at the US pace, a few days after the premieres. US TX: 20 September / UK TX: 14 October (Living) MUST REVIEW

Michael C. Hall returns as Dexter
DARK BLUE (Five USA) Undercover cop drama. It doesn't sound immediately appealing, although there's a certain allure because statuesque beauty Tricia Helfer co-stars alongside Dylan McDermott. It's also from the creators of CSI, which isn't a franchise I watch, but it has some quality. I'll perhaps check out the pilot, but doubt I'll tread any further unless it knocks me on my arse. UK TX: TBA. UNLIKELY REVIEW

DEXTER
(Showtime) As always, I'll be reviewing this juicy crime drama as it enters its fifth year. I hope it continues the return-to-form standard of season 4, but I think the raw chill of its first two seasons can't be revived. US TX: 26 September. MUST REVIEW

What is The Event?
THE EVENT (NBC/Channel 4) This is the new US show I'm most excited about (I need something to obsess over now Lost's gone, damn it!), but I'm cautious because the premise feels like it could be too much of a drawn-out tease. Or, like, FlashForward, just not conducive to episodic television. Channel 4 might only be weeks behind NBC, so it's possible I'll switch to UK-pace if the show doesn't sink its hook deep enough. US TX: 20 September / UK TX: 22 October (Channel 4) LIKELY REVIEW

FRINGE (Fox/Sky1) I'll be following this sci-fi series again, although I'm growing a little bored by it. I just don't think the parallel universe story is as fresh and exciting as most people seem to think. The news that season 3 will alternate between both universes is interesting, but I get the feeling the show's becoming too focused on its mythology. I used to like the random X-Filesian episodes, when done well. Anyway, if my schedule becomes difficult to cope with, Fringe might not be reviewed in as much detail. If you think that's a shame, please comment on the episodes I do cover, to show there's an audience for it. US TX: 23 September / UK TX: 5 October LIKELY REVIEW

GLEE (Fox/E4) I'll probably continue my reviews of Glee, unless the workload becomes too much, or the show doesn't evolve in any interesting way. I also hope E4 stay 6 days behind the US broadcast, but if they don't I'll probably just wait for them anyway. Glee's a fun show, but not something I'm desperate to see immediately. US TX: 21 September / UK TX: January 2011 LIKELY REVIEW

Book 'em, Danno!
HAWAII FIVE-O (CBS/Bravo) I'm not sure if I'll review beyond the pilot episode, but I'll be watching the first batch of episodes. I'm intrigued by the fact the producers have a background in sci-fi (Fringe, Star Trek, etc), but have felt compelled to remake an exotic cop show most famous for a theme tune and the catchphrase "book 'em, Dano". This may become one of those undemanding and entertaining shows I watch every week, but don't feel compelled to write about. US TX: 20 September / UK TX: TBA. UNLIKELY REVIEW

HIM & HER (BBC3) A brand new relationship comedy about two twentysomething lovers who rarely leave their bedsit. I've seen the first episode, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think it's one of the best BBC3 comedies since Pulling. UK TX: 6 September. POSSIBLE REVIEW

HUMAN TARGET (Fox) I enjoyed the action-packed first season, despite the fact it stuck to a pretty rigid formula. The shake-ups for season 2 (essentially adding two new female characters) bodes well, and I get a feeling this show will improve immeasurably. I'm not sure I'll have time to review every single episode, so there's a chance I may just wait for Syfy to air this in the UK. Undecided. US TX: 17 November. POSSIBLE REVIEW

THE INBETWEENERS (E4) I've never reviewed this teen-comedy weekly, having only covered it as a two-series box-set before now. I'm really not sure if I'll have time, but will probably post some kind of response every week. UK TX: 13 September. POSSIBLE REVIEW

THE INCREASINGLY POOR DECISIONS OF TODD MARGARET (Channel 4) I didn’t like the Comedy Showcase pilot that much, but I'm interested to see if this can improve because the talent involved are very good. UK TX: TBA. POSSIBLE REVIEW

Oil and cons in Lone Star
LONE STAR (Fox) This drama is about a conman who leads a double-life, trying to steal control of his father-in-law's oil business, while keeping that side of his life a secret from his oblivious girlfriend. I've heard good things about the pilot, although this sounds like a movie more than a TV series to me. I'll probably check out a few episodes, but it'll have to be very special to keep me with it. UK TX: 20 September POSSIBLE REVIEW

MAD MEN
(BBC Four) In a surprise move, Mad Men is getting its UK premiere months earlier than usual. That does add to my burden, but I'll definitely be following season 4's episodes, although I'll probably stick to my schedule of posting reviews a few days after they air in the UK. The show tends to need some extra think-time. UK TX: 8 September MUST REVIEW

MERLIN (BBC1) I really enjoy reviewing this show -- partly because each episode usually gives you something to say, but also because it's one of the more popular reviews I do. And it's nice to write something knowing it'll be read and commented on by a very healthy number of people. I hear that series 3 is darker than before, which suits me fine. Series 2 was far better than series 1, so hopefully this show will continue to get better and better as it matures. Quietly excited by this underrated fantasy. UK TX: 11 September. MUST REVIEW

MISFITS (E4) One of the best TV debuts of 2009, I'll definitely continue reviewing this teen superhero drama. The disappointment of Howard Overman's Vexed has me a little concerned his earlier work was a fluke of some kind, but I'm still expecting good things. A Christmas special will also air almost immediately after the final episode. UK TX: November (TBC) MUST REVIEW

Maggie Q kicks ass!
NIKITA (The CW/Living) Similarly to Five-O, expect a pilot review from me, and we'll see where things go from there. I suspect this will be something I watch but don't review, even if it has more to offer than Maggie Q in various skimpy outfits. That's possible, right? US TX: 9 September / UK TX: 7 October UNLIKELY REVIEW

NO ORDINARY FAMILY (ABC) I didn't like the pilot, but it might improve. I get the impression it'll be an easy show to review, so I may cover it until I get bored. Or maybe it'll really impress me after a shaky start and I'll make it a must-see? Who knows. US TX: 28 September. UK TX: 2011 (Watch) POSSIBLE REVIEW

PEEP SHOW (Channel 4) I'd like to review every episode, but it depends on how tight my schedule is. At the very least, I think I'll make some kind of comment every week. UK TX: November. POSSIBLE REVIEW

PHONESHOP (E4) I didn't like the pilot that much as part of the Comedy Showcase, so I'll probably just sample the first episode of this full series and see how it goes. UK TX: October UNLIKELY REVIEW

THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH (Channel 4) I've heard bad things about this miniseries, so I'll watch episode 1 and see how I feel. But my gut tells me I won't bother reviewing it. UK TX: 16 October. UNLIKELY REVIEW

Rubicon: slow burn mystery
RUBICON (BBC4) I had intended to review this at US-pace in the summer, but various things prevented me. Okay, so I just wasn't in the mood for a chilly conspiracy thriller in August. But now it's been picked-up by BBC4 in the UK, which promises a slightly autumnal schedule and glorious HD. I will therefore review this show at UK-pace, but I'm not sure if it'll hold my interest long enough to complete the series (I hear mixed thing about its pacing and style). UK TX: TBA. POSSIBLE REVIEW

RIDE-ALONG (Sky1) You know I'm not a particular fan of cop shows, but this one has a certain buzz about it because it's from Shawn Ryan (The Shield). I may watch the pilot, then make a judgement call, but my gut says I won't be bothering. UK TX: TBA. UNLIKELY REVIEW

Shane Meadows' four-part TV sequel
THIS IS ENGLAND '86 (Channel 4) I'd like to review this every week, but it again depends on time. At the very least I'll cover the first part, and see how it goes. UK TX: 7 September. POSSIBLE REVIEW

TREME (Sky) This post-Hurricane Katrina drama set in New Orleans still doesn't appeal to me, beyond the fact a certain quality is guaranteed because it comes from the mind of David Simon (The Wire). UK TX: TBA. UNLIKELY REVIEW

UNDERCOVERS
(NBC) I'll check out a few episodes, but I'm not very excited about this. The fact it's JJ Abrams' latest TV projects just confuses me, because I expect something more interesting than a rather lazy spy series focusing on a married couple. It just feels like NBC wanted a particular kind of show (a less comedic version of what Chuck's become for them, really), and get JJ Abrams just tossed this off for them. I hope I'm wrong and the actors have crazy-hot chemistry together, but I'm not feeling it based on the previews. But I'll review a few episodes, to test the water. US TX: 22 September. POSSIBLE REVIEW

V (ABC) The first season wasn't great, but there were a few characters and performances that kept me interested. Season 2 will be make-or-break, and some of the plans certainly have me intrigued (such as getting original V actress Jane Badler involved). I'm cautiously optimistic that, with a break and time to reassess the creative direction, V could get the recipe right for its second year. I'll probably be reviewing this at the US pace. US TX: November (TBC) LIKELY REVIEW

The zombies attack on Halloween, natch
THE WALKING DEAD (AMC/FX) A definite highlight of the autumn season. I'm just not sure if I'll be watching at US or UK-pace. US-pace means I'll be right there with the majority of other reviewers, but UK-pace will means sweet HD. Decisions, decisions. US TX: 31 October / UK TX: 5 November. MUST REVIEW

WHITECHAPEL (ITV1) I enjoyed the first series of this three-part crime drama, but the concept behind the second doesn't fill me with hope (copycats of The Krays -- really?) That said, I'll probably review the first episode and decide from that if it's worth continuing with. UK TX: 11 October POSSIBLE REVIEW

There are other shows I might find the time to review the pilots of, and a few may impress me enough to become regularly slotted for review (like "sim-com" The Trip with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, NBC's Community on Viva, and Episodes with Stephen Mangan and Matt Le Blanc), but the shows above are the ones I feel drawn to already. A list of confirmed premiere dates is below, in chronological order:

6 September (Mondays)
Him & Her (BBC3)

7 September (Tuesdays)
This Is England '86 (Channel 4)

8 September (Wednesdays)
Mad Men (BBC Four)

9 September (Thursdays)
Nikita (The CW)

11 September (Saturdays)
Merlin (BBC1)

13 September (Mondays)
The Inbetweeners (E4)

19 September (Sundays)
Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

20 September (Mondays)
Chuck (NBC)
The Event (NBC)
Hawaii Five-O (CBS)
Lone Star (Fox)

21 September (Tuesdays)
Glee (Fox)

22 September (Wednesdays)
Undercovers (NBC)

23 September (Thursdays)
Fringe (Fox)

26 September (Sundays)
Dexter (Showtime)

28 September (Tuesdays)
No Ordinary Family (ABC)

31 October (Sundays)
The Walking Dead (AMC)

17 November (Wednesdays)
Human Target (Fox)