Friday 15 October 2010

State of the Blog: stopping, starting, resuming reviews

Friday 15 October 2010
I've decided to stop reviewing HBO's Boardwalk Empire. I really like the series and intend to keep watching it, but writing weekly reviews has proven tough to fit into my schedule (even before my week's break put me two episodes behind), and it doesn't appear to have caught the interest of readers here. I'd rather focus my efforts on reviews I know are read, appreciated, and get commented on most weeks.

Caprica has attracted less comment than expected since it returned to Syfy, which puts it in a precarious position. Are people watching, but not caring enough to comment? Are most people just not following at US pace? Or has it fallen off everyone's radar post-hiatus? Given the disappointing direction since it came back, I feel myself ready to give up unless there's a big turnaround soon.

I haven't decided if I'm going to add No Ordinary Family to weekly review, but the two reviews I've written attracted some response so that's good. I may add it to take up the slack of Boardwalk Empire. For awhile, at least. I may also ditch The Event in the near future, although there seems to be a FlashForward level of interest for now. And as I said last week, I'm going to switch to reviewing Fringe at the UK pace, so reviews will resume from next Wednesday. Sky1 are only a few weeks behind the US and likely to catch up when Fox start taking breaks for sport.

Whitechapel is only three episodes long, so I'll continue reviewing it, but probably not in any great depth. I'll also have a review of BBC4's sci-fi special First Men In The Moon next week (with Mark Gatiss and Rory Kinnear), having received a screener a few days ago, so stay tuned for that!

I'm also watching Community (Viva) and Nikita (Living), but not reviewing them.